[Marxism] Against the Dictatorship of the Expertariat

Leigh Phillips leigh.phillips at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 19:14:46 MST 2014

I've just had a piece in Jacobin on post-democracy, global governance and
existential threats.

It doesn't mention GMOs, so hopefully Louis won't mind my posting it here.
;)

---

explosion in post-democratic international decision-making structures
modelled on the IPCC/UNFCCC.

There's now an 'IPCC but for biodiversity', an 'IPCC but for
desertification', and a proposed 'IPCC but for antibiotic resistance'. As
with the EU, independent central banks, the WTO, the IMF, the UN Security
Council and the full metastasising panoply of post-democratic international
governance bodies and treaties, a range of policy decisions are steadily
being taken out of the hands of direct democratic control and placed in the
hands of 'experts'. I argue the solutions to all of these real problems are
ultimately not - or not only - scientific, but political.

The solution is not a 'time-out' for democracy as James Lovelock argues,
but much more democracy, global democracy.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/11/the-solution-is-democracy/

Cheers,

Leigh Phillips

Leigh Phillips
European Affairs Journalist & Science Writer
leigh.phillips at gmail.com
Mobile:
(CA) +1 250 885 1003
(UK) +44 (0)75 282 17 335