[Marxism] Fwd: New book on changes in American higher education and the role of the intellectual @insidehighered

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 11 06:03:19 MST 2014

Q: You repeatedly characterize the casualization of academic labor —
i.e., the scarcity of tenure-line jobs and the rise in the use of
adjunct faculty — as one of the most pressing issues in higher education
today. Do you see any indications that this trend might be reversed? If
so, how?

A: One thing we need to be absolutely clear about is that the
evisceration of decent academic jobs is not a result of “supply and
demand.” If you look at the statistics, college attendance has increased
through every decade of the past century, from about 4 million in 1960
to 15 million in 2000 and more than 20 million now. There have been
small fluctuations, but it has always gone up. So the demand has,
without any doubt, risen. The change is in the design and imagination of
teaching jobs, and that has been a result of policy, perhaps ad hoc but
nonetheless deliberate.

I would like to rid the air of a lot of smog about this: this was the
choice of people, not the economic weather. So it can be changed, as any
policy can be. If suddenly university administrators across the country
came to a consensus that it was inhumane to employ people in the shabby
ways that many do, this would change immediately. Or if there were a
governmental policy regulating academic labor, as there is in France,
where there are much stricter regulations on contingent positions, and
where there is less inequality than we have, then it would change. It
used to be a goal to attain full employment. We have phenomenal wealth
and productivity has risen over the past two decades, so our structure
of unemployment and underemployment is managed in this inequitable way.
There are groups like COCAL and the New Faculty Majority that have
proposals, but I think we need to regain the imperative for and good of
full employment for college teachers.

full:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/11/11/new-book-changes-american-higher-education-and-role-intellectual