[Marxism] Fwd: Space Settlement

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 12 07:50:35 MST 2014

Pure insanity courtesy of NASA. "Interstellar" is only a movie but this
is what our tax dollars is funding.

----

Space Settlements

spreading life throughout the solar system

"I know that humans will colonize the solar system and one day go
beyond." Mike Griffin, former NASA Administrator.

A billion years ago there was no life on land. In a phenomenal
development, by 400 million years ago land life was well established. We
are at the very beginning of a similar, perhaps even more important,
development. Today Earth teems with life, but as far as we know, in the
vast reaches of space there are only a handful of astronauts, a few
plants and animals, and some bacteria and fungi; mostly on the
International Space Station. We can change that. In the 1970's Princeton
physicist Gerard O'Neill, with the help of NASA Ames Research Center and
Stanford University, discovered that we can build gigantic spaceships,
big enough to live in. These free-space settlements could be wonderful
places to live; about the size of a California beach town and endowed
with weightless recreation, fantastic views, freedom, elbow-room in
spades, and great wealth. In time, we may see millions of free-space
settlements in our solar system alone. Building them, particularly the
first one, is a monumental challenge. If this sounds exciting, read on.

http://settlement.arc.nasa.gov/