[Marxism] US-China climate deal?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 10:22:09 MST 2014

I would have expected by now many progressive critiques of what seems to be
a uniform mainstream gushing over this deal. The headlines are all about
how great it is, and given the history and interests of the two signors, my
gut reaction is "no fucking way could this be as good as those headlines
make it sound." As great as the climate march was, that alone can't yet be
enough to force significant change by the world's greatest polluters.

So two questions: 1) how does Obama's new pledge, re a percentage drop in
emissions to reach 2005 levels, match against what climate scientists say
is needed; and 2) isn't China's pledge a non-pledge? I.e. they only
committed themselves to peak at 2030, but that peak could be at any level
they feel like.