[Marxism] US-China climate deal?

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Nov 12 10:35:17 MST 2014

On 2014/11/12 07:22 PM, Andrew Pollack via Marxism wrote:
> I would have expected by now many progressive critiques of what seems to be
> a uniform mainstream gushing over this deal

It takes a bit of time to digest this kind of news and find the devil in
the details. (Similarly, has anyone found anything about Obama's support
for net neutrality that we should know?)

But here's one reply, by activist Neil Tangri:

          Neil Tangri <https://www.facebook.com/neil.tangri?fref=nf>

OK, details are still extremely sketchy, but here are my initial
impressions. Thoughts?

The good: 1. China is getting serious and actually intends to peak
emissions in the next 15 years -- huge news, given their emissions &
rate of increase. 2. Any movement in international climate policy is
better than none at this point.

The bad: 1. The targets are too weak and too late compared to what we
need. 2. There's no reason to think that the US will hit its (weak) targets.

The ugly: 1. Obama is apparently trying to show that voluntary,
bilateral climate deals "work", eliminating the need for a binding
multilateral deal in Paris in 2015. Given that the UNFCCC has been dead
in the water for 20+ years, this isn't much of a loss.

2. This agreement does nothing to help developing countries manage a
just transition, pay for loss & damages, mitigate & adapt.

The hope: Unlike the Americans, the Chinese leadership understands the
science and knows it needs to bring the rest of the world along. China
is the one country that has enough diplomatic firepower to change the
international dynamic -- if it decides to do so.