[Marxism] Goodbye to Leninism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 16 09:58:47 MST 2014

On 11/16/14 11:42 AM, Charlie via Marxism wrote:
> Although Mr. Roca and the Communist Party supported Gen. Fulgencio
> Batista when he was elected in 1940 to a four-year term as President,
> they later broke with him and opposed a military coup in which he
> returned to power in 1952.
>
> Mr. Roca led Cuba's clandestine Communist movement during the
> dictatorship under which General Batista ruled from 1952 to 1958. The
> Communists differed initially with Mr. Castro's efforts to bring General
> Batista down through guerrilla war, but reconciled with Mr. Castro.

This is exactly the point I made.

Communists had no business supporting Batista, nor did they have any
business denouncing the guerrillas as "putschists".

Furthermore, the reconciliation wasn't long-lasting. In the early days
of the revolution, the Cubans had to deal with an out of control
Stalinist faction led by Anibal Escalante, Blas Roca's comrade. Here is
Castro on Escalante:

http://www.walterlippmann.com/fc-03-26-1962.html
We reached the conclusion, we were all convinced, that compañero Anibal
Escalante, abusing the faith placed in him, in his post as Secretary in
Charge of Organization, followed a non-Marxist policy, followed a policy
which departed from Leninist norms regarding the organization of a
workers' vanguard party, and that he tried to organize an apparatus to
pursue personal ends.

We believe that compañero Anibal Escalante has had a lot to do with the
conversion of sectarianism into a system, with the conversion of
sectarianism into a virus, into a veritable sickness during this process.

Compañero Anibal Escalante is the one responsible for having promoted
the sectarian spirit to its highest possible level, of having promoted
that sectarian spirit for personal reasons, with the purpose of
establishing an organization which he controlled. He is the one
responsible for introducing, in addition, a series of methods within
that organization which were leading to the creation, not of a party —
as we were saying — but rather of a tyranny, a straitjacket.

(clip)