[Marxism] Fwd: Syria, “Revolution,” and the Left « LobeLog

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 17 10:37:51 MST 2014

(From last December but still relevant.)

The last couple months have seen the spread of a particular argument
about the war in Syria among members of the self-described
“anti-imperialist” left. This line of thought argues that the war (along
with the Arab Spring more broadly) cannot be considered a true
“revolution” and thus the left should be wary of supporting anti-Assad
forces — not merely with military or material support, but even sympathy
or solidarity. What constitutes a “revolution” is not always spelled
out, but Tariq Ali (who was among the first to make this argument)
defines it in the loosely Marxist sense of “a transfer of power from one
social class (or even a layer) to another that leads to fundamental
change,” and he takes the lack of such an explicit class struggle in the
Syrian war to be proof that the left should resist siding either with
Assad or his opponents.

Recently the argument was revived by Asa Winstanley of the Electronic
Intifada. After protests caused Middle East Monitor to take Winstanley’s
piece down, it was republished by the leftist magazine Jacobin, whose
editors describe themselves as holding “a plurality of positions on
Syria” but consider the piece to be a “useful contribution to the
discussion” and publish it in order “to further this dialogue”. (This is
all well and good, and I disagreed with Middle East Monitor‘s initial
decision to remove the piece, but I’m not entirely clear which
“dialogue” the Jacobin editors are hoping to further. As far as I can
tell, all their coverage of Syria has taken a similar line — namely,
that there’s little moral difference between the two sides and that the
left should avoid getting behind either one.)

full: http://www.lobelog.com/syria-revolution-and-the-left/