[Marxism] Fwd: How WWI Produced the Holocaust - The Daily Beast

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 21 09:07:19 MST 2014

In Tooze’s view, the political landscape that emerged from World War I
was a failed ideological liberal-progressive project launched primarily
by Woodrow Wilson, who used America’s position of privileged detachment
to frame the transformation of world affairs.

Wilson wanted to end imperialist rivalries in European politics. And
only a “peace without victory”—the goal he announced to the U.S. Senate
in January 1917—could ensure that the United States would emerge as the
undisputed arbitrator of world affairs.

Tooze provides the reader with numerous questions here, such as: What
had gone so wrong after 1918? Why was American policy miscarried at
Versailles? Why did the world economy implode in 1929? And why did the
Western Powers lose their grip in such a spectacular fashion in the
decade following the end of the war?

By way of answering these questions, Tooze guides us through the
numerous diplomatic and economic catastrophes that emerged from World
War I. Eventually we start to get a well-rounded and extremely
comprehensive insight into why Wilson’s American foreign policy was so
misguided.

Wilson placed his faith 100 percent in American capitalist values, which
he believed were natural byproducts of American exceptionalism: the idea
that the United States is guided by God’s will to be morally and
spiritually superior to the rest of the world.

But Wilson was gravely mistaken when he placed his faith in the idea
that “markets and business would replace politics and military power.’
As Tooze writes, “the consequences of this push to depoliticize the
world economy were perverse. Far from taking politics out of economic
life, the result was to drive Europe ever more deeply into the greatest
financial and political entanglement of all—reparations.”

full:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/11/21/how-wwi-produced-the-holocaust.html