[Marxism] [Pen-l] NYRB review of Naomi Klein

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 12:20:04 MST 2014

>> On Nov 22, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/22/14 9:31 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>>
>> The fact that former Mayor Bloomberg could join the climate march ought to
>> generate some caution.
>
> I agree with Carrol. We need a communistic climate change movement led
> by fighting detachments of an aroused proletariat.

Not to mention, on a more serious note, that not all capitalists outside the coal, gas and oil industries are wedded to fossil fuels and unconcerned about their disruptive and potentially catastrophic effects. Bloomberg is a prominent spokesperson of this growing wing of the bourgeoisie. If solar and other alternative energy prices continue to fall in line with advanced technology and more widespread adoption and become more cost-effective and safer than environmentally destructive forms of energy, there's no reason to suppose today's capitalists would not do what previous generations of capitalists have done and move to superior forms of energy. It's not an inevitable development,  but neither can it be ruled out.

By Carrol's logic, leftists should never have thrown themselves into the great struggles of our time waged by trade unionists, blacks, gays, women, and opponents of the war in Vietnam because in each case liberal politicians and clergy were invited to march with demonstrators, who were, in the main, supporters of the Democratic Party. I think Carrol's tendency towards abstention flows from what is, IMO, his underlying view of the ruling class as diabolically monolithic and all powerful, with the more perniciously clever Democrats the greater evil. Go back and read his many posts on any number of subjects and you will see this theme expressed again and again.