[Marxism] Fwd: Three great animated features | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 23 16:00:23 MST 2014

Although I will be nominating the three films reviewed in this article
for NYFCO’s best animated features of 2014, they could easily be
considered the three best—period. I only regret not having nominated
“How to Train Your Dragon” in 2010, a film that far surpassed NYFCO’s
choice, “The Social Network”. What, you haven’t seen “How to Train Your
Dragon”? What’s wrong with you?

Even though I am approaching my seventieth birthday, I still get the
same pleasure watching “cartoons” that I got when I was ten years old.
Back then, this meant Warner Brothers—the gold standard for kiddie fare
that adults could love as well. Back in the 1950s, there was always a
cartoon before the main feature—as well as a newsreel and a travelogue.
Along with Mad Magazine, Borscht Belt standup comedians, and comic
books, the Warner Brothers cartoons that were produced by men such as
Tex Avery, Bob Clampett and Chuck Jones shaped my worldview. They never
talked down to the juvenile audience but assumed that what made them
laugh would also make a 10 year old laugh.

Clampett, in particular, was willing to push the envelope as Wikipedia
reports: “Clampett was heavily influenced by the Spanish surrealist
artist Salvador Dalí, as is most visible in Porky in Wackyland (1938),
wherein the entire short takes place within a Dalí-esque landscape
complete with melting objects and abstracted forms. Clampett and his
work can even be considered part of the surreal movement, as it
incorporated film as well as static media.”

full: http://louisproyect.org/2014/11/23/three-great-animated-features/