[Marxism] Fwd: US air strikes in Syria driving anti-Assad groups to support Isis | World news | The Guardian

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 22:51:15 MST 2014

I wrote "Excellent article (even if no doubt exaggerated for
journalistic
reasons)." Looking again, I would emphasise its exaggerated character
more, and withdraw the word "excellent." There are some excellent points
in it but the impression it gives of massive shifts to ISIS and
thousands who just can't wait to join ISIS seems clearly over the top,
and is only the testimony of a number of ex-FSA, now ISIS, individuals.

There are also factual mistakes, such as the claim that Nusra is the
dominant group in East Ghouta (part of the Damascus suburbs).
Nevertheless, the article does tap into an important part of the mood
since the US air strikes began. It is important for understanding how
Nusra suddenly got powerful enough to defeat the Syrian Revolutionaries
Front - the main FSA coalition in the northwest - in Idlib province,
just 10 months after the SRF had driven ISIS out of the whole region
(and before that, the FSA groups that made up the SRF had been key in
driving out regime forces).

The reactionary effects of the US intervention thus have to be measured
in many ways, not just in terms of who they may actually be striking.
All in all, therefore, I think my original comments, minus the
"excellent," and the other article I sent, were on the mark.

groups to support Isis | World news | The Guardian