[Marxism] Fwd: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America, And Lives To Write About It : NPR

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 07:14:43 MST 2014

Interview Highlights

On being recognized as famous while hitchhiking

People would drive past me and think, "Was that John Waters?" But no!
Why would I be standing there doing that? And they'd come back and pick
me up. Other people didn't know and pulled over and tried to give me
money or help me and then realized [who I was] and started laughing and
screaming. And many people didn't recognize me, and when I did tell them
during a normal conversation in the car that I was a film director, they
just looked at me like I was so deluded as a homeless person that
believed he was a cult film director.

Generally, I didn't care because it didn't matter to me. I wanted to
hear their stories. I was relieved if they really didn't know who I was,
and yet I'm a hypocrite because when I'd get stuck, I would shamelessly
use it if I could to try to get a ride.

full:
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/10/320645960/john-waters-hitchhikes-across-america-and-lives-to-write-about-it