[Marxism] Fwd: 'Suicide Is My Retirement Plan' | Vitae

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 26 07:53:00 MST 2014

Ask Debra Leigh Scott how she plans to make ends meet after her teaching
career is over, and her answer is direct. “Suicide,” she says, “is my
retirement plan.”

Of course, she doesn’t want to kill herself. But there might come a
time, she says, when ending her life would be the only “dignified”
escape from the indignities of growing old with no safety net.

Scott, an artist who just turned 60, is an adjunct professor teaching in
Temple University’s intellectual-heritage program. She’s a member of the
first generation of a relatively new breed of adjunct: the teacher who
wanted to become a full-time professor but never got the opportunity. A
divorced mother of two grown children, she has now been teaching for
over 25 years, cobbling together different types of jobs to scrape by.
She got beaten down by the recession, lost several jobs and her home,
and she’s used what little savings she had to stay afloat.

full: https://chroniclevitae.com/news/818-suicide-is-my-retirement-plan