[Marxism] In Northern Ireland, a Wave of Immigrants Is Met With Fists

Stuart Munckton stuartmunckton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 16:35:10 MST 2014

> (I wondered how in the hell that Irish Catholics, the victims of racism,
> could end up as racists themselves. Once you get past the headline, you
> discover that the Protestants are responsible for the bulk of the attacks
> on immigrants.)

It is further evidence of the reaction encouraged by partition. Protestant
sectarianism and its loyalist political expression, encouraged and
bolstered by partition, is not going to stop at just hatred and violence
towards one sector. As always, it is often the poorest Protestants taking
out frustration and anger on those they view as below them.

Ending partition is not going to end such racism, or sectarianism, but it
would be an important step in removing the key for fostering such reaction,
and undermine the sense that Protestants, however low on the social scale,
have a state that belongs specifically to *them*.

Stuart