[Marxism] Knock, knock - you're dead: the militarisation of the police in the Land of the Free

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 20:35:04 MDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 5:14 AM, Philip Ferguson via Marxism <
marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

http://rdln.wordpress.com/2014/09/03/knock-knock-youre-dead-the-militarisation-of-the-police-force-in-the-land-of-the-free/

I always wonder about this kind of thing, though. To be sure, the
militarization of police is a Very Bad Thing, and one on which I frown.

But has it actually made them more any racist, violent, or likely to injure
and/or kill you than they were before?

I haven't crunched the numbers. But I strongly, strongly doubt it.

The Redline post writes of "Pennsylvania in 1905 – where previously there
would have been strong identification of officers drawn from local
communities with the workers they live with."

In that case, it might even be true. I don't know.

But there's a strong undercurrent of Norman Rockwell-esque bullshit in a
lot of left discourse around militarization, which implicitly, when not
explicitly, hearkens back to some mythical golden age of caring
neighborhood officers we all know perfectly well never existed for most.

--
lytlað."