[Marxism] What gets you labeled a "foreign agent" in Russia these days

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 3 16:01:34 MDT 2014

On 9/3/14 5:48 PM, Lüko Willms via Marxism wrote:

> on Mittwoch, 3. September 2014 at 14:34, Thomas Campbell via Marxism wrote:
>
>> Local NGO Latest to Be Listed as ‘Foreign Agent’
>
>    Just have a look at US-american laws.
>
>    Search for "Voorhis" (or is itt "Voorhuis"?)

I don't know much about the problems NGO's face in the USA but I have
been following the victimization of dissidents pretty carefully. Pussy
Riot goes to prison for "sacrilege" while a couple of people who had
sexual intercourse in St. Patrick's Cathedral in NYC in order to get
mentioned on a shock jock radio show got a slap on the wrist. In Russia
you can't even get permission to organize a gay pride demonstration
while in NYC the Catholic Church finally dropped opposition to gay
groups being contingents of the St. Patrick's Day parade. These freedoms
were not gifts from the ruling class but won through struggle. Russia is
in the throes of a nationalistic/Orthodox church deep freeze and it is
regrettable that so many on the left cheer Putin on as if he is Che Guevara.