[Marxism] A question for those in American accademia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 4 18:05:39 MDT 2014

On 9/4/14 7:50 PM, Joseph Catron via Marxism wrote:
> Does anyone with more experience in such matters care to offer a somewhat
> objective analysis of the scale of the situation?

I have plenty of experience with these things as a Columbia University
employee for 21 years. The Israeli lobby has targeted the school ever
since Edward Said created the MEALAC department. Time after time I saw
exactly the same kinds of assaults on Columbia (and Barnard) professors.

I also saw the same thing happen to Joel Kovel when he was at Bard.

This is a perfect storm since it conjoins two very explosive issues, the
post-Gaza trauma/BDS and the corporatization of the university. Like
Hurricane Sandy was the conjunction of a storm from the Caribbean and a
Northeaster from Canada.

The outcome on this will have profound consequences.