[Marxism] Professor Salaita, Chancellor Wise

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 7 23:37:48 MDT 2014

Makes me think of a university administrator who was president of
California State at Chico from 1971-1979 and president of Utah State
University from 1979-1992.  Stanford Cazier was Vice-Provost at USU in 1970
and was known as "the liberal' within the university administration when i
met with him and asked him to sign a petition to the Nixon
administration/attorney general to reconsider their refusal to let Ernest
Mandel into the U.S.

Cazier squirmed out of signing using the argument that because he wasn't an
economist he didn't know anything about Mandel or his legitimacy.  If the
chair of the Economics Deptartment, B. Delworth Gardner, would sign the
petitiion, then he would, Cazier said.  I was back the same day with
Gardner's signature on the petition but Cazier still refused to sign.

In the fall of 1971 Cazier began his tenure as president of Cal State at
Chico and i found myself working at the North California Peace Action
Coalition office in San Francisco asking for funds and endorsement of the
upcoming fall 1971 antiwar demonstration.  I took some pleasure in getting
through all the secretaries and telling Cazier on the phone that i was
Dayne Goodwin who had talked with him a year ago at USU about signing the
petition for Ernest Mandel and i was calling to see if he would care to
endorse and contribute to the upcoming antiwar demonstration.  He didn't
hang up on me but of course he said no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleindienst_v._Mandel
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/1969/nov/20/the-mandel-case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_Cazier