[Marxism] Fwd: My letter today to the University of Illinois Board of Trustees: Please write to them if you haven’t already | Safiya U. Noble, Ph.D.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 10 19:30:16 MDT 2014

It is the faculty who are grounded in research and deep expertise, which
should be at the forefront of shaping the future of the University with
students, not people who can make extraordinary gifts tied to their
ideological stances. I say this after hearing a potential donor from a
famous family tell me once that he would not make a major gift to
support fellowships for underrepresented students because he “knows for
a fact that Latinos and Blacks are not intellectually capable of doing
higher level math and computer science.” I shudder writing it. I also
had a donor who wanted his gift to only support White students, and
wanted this provision to be enforced with any gift he made to the
University. One must gracefully navigate the strategies and beliefs that
are tied to advancement, as I am sure you are now experiencing.

You see, wealthy people may or may not tie gifts to things that make
sense. Certainly, this is not the vast majority of donors to the
University, whom I am sure are generous, incredible people, as are most
of the development professionals on the campus. Their jobs have become
incredibly difficult now due to the firing of Professor Salaita. No
matter the ideological ties some may put on their gifts, we do not want
the workings of the University, and the scholarship it produces, to be
tied to these kinds of whims — or to racism, to be frank.

full:
http://safiyaunoble.com/2014/09/09/my-letter-today-to-the-university-of-illinois-board-of-trustees-please-write-to-them-if-you-havent-already/