[Marxism] Imperialism, Repressive Tolerance and Resistance

Ron Jacobs ronj1955 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 09:24:58 MDT 2014


you can carry your argument only so far, just like me.  I am not comparing
1980s Nicaragua to 2014 Syria.  Of course, the level of carnage is
different, because the nature of the war is different.

Assad's military is brutal, just like Saddam Hussein's was.  Once US
money/aid really starts pouring in without any need to hide it, I have a
feeling that the US-favored rebels will fight whomever they are commanded
to fight--or lose their favor with the US and its cash.  I also have a
feeling that the US military will be fighting the Syrian military within a
year.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:00 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> On 9/12/14 9:31 AM, Ron Jacobs via Marxism wrote:
>
>>
>> http://stillhomeron.blogspot.com/2014/09/imperialism-
>> repressive-tolerance-and.html
>>
>
> Ron, you write: "In his September 10, 2014 speech on the subject of the
> Islamic State, Syria and Iraq, Barack Obama discussed the creation of what
> would be a mercenary force in Syria whose mission would be twofold—fight
> the Islamic State and fight the official Syrian military."
>
> However, the NY Times reported today:
>
> Since pushing ISIS from parts of northern Syria early this year, Syria’s
> rebels have few military advances to point to and in many areas have lost
> ground, to Mr. Assad’s forces and to ISIS. But in many places they remain
> busy fighting Mr. Assad and are not eager to redirect their energies to
> ISIS — even while many say they hate the group.
>
> “The priority is the regime,” Ziad Obeid, who heads a small rebel faction
> in Aleppo, said through Skype. “But it is ISIS that is preventing any
> progress on the ground, so we have to get rid of it, too.”
>
> Still, he added, he would not pull fighters from battles with the
> government to fight ISIS. “People on the fronts with the regime can’t leave
> to fight ISIS,” he said. “That won’t work.”
>
> full: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/12/world/middleeast/us-
> pins-hope-on-syrian-rebels-with-loyalties-all-over-the-map.html
>
> Also, you write:
>
> "In essence, this force sounds a lot like the contra forces created by the
> Reagan White House to fight the Sandinista government in Nicaragua during
> the 1980s. Those men, who were a mix of committed anticommunists, CIA
> operatives, mercenaries and just plain criminals, caused a lot of death and
> other havoc inside Nicaragua."
>
> In fact, the FSA has nothing in common with the Nicaraguan contras. You
> are repeating a canard I have heard time and time again. The contras were
> largely made up of men who had tortured the Nicaraguan poor who had run
> afoul of a crony capitalist elite. If you want a counterpart for that in
> Syria, look no further than the Baathist goons.
>
> Finally, with respect to causing a "lot of death and other havoc" in
> Syria, where have you been for the last 3 years? On a nature hike? Syria
> makes Nicaragua look like a Quaker retreat by comparison.
>
>
>
>



More information about the Marxism mailing list