[Marxism] Fwd: How Stieg Larsson Exposed the Swedish Far Right » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Sep 19 06:55:33 MDT 2014

Kicking the Hornets' Nest
How Stieg Larsson Exposed the Swedish Far Right
by LOUIS PROYECT

For the average person the early death of Stieg Larsson must have come
as a disappointment since that meant that the fourth Dragon Tattoo novel
would remain uncompleted, the last in a series that were perfect reading
on the bus or subway going to work. I understood how they might feel
since I once missed my stop while reading the account of the petite but
potent Lisbeth Salander beating up a 300-pound biker and stealing his
Harley-Davidson.

But after reading Jan-Erik Pettersson’s “Stieg Larsson: the real story
of the man who played with fire”, I felt a keener loss, that of a man
who I never met but now miss as a comrade in the fight against a
decaying capitalist system. I was always aware that Karl Stig-Erland
“Stieg” Larsson, who died at the age of 50 from a heart attack on
November 9, 2005, was a member of the Trotskyist movement–as was I–but
never knew much about what he did in between the time he left the
movement and began writing the novels that made him famous. I was under
the impression that he made his living as a journalist but that would be
like saying that John Reed did so as well. Like so many journalists with
integrity over the last 100 years, Stieg Larsson aimed his words like a
Molotov cocktail at the forces of capitalist reaction. If anything, the
exploits of Mikael Blomkvist, the journalist hero of his novels, pale in
comparison to the life that the author led.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/09/19/how-stieg-larsson-exposed-the-swedish-far-right/