[Marxism] Fwd: ISIS vs. the Kurds

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 08:17:45 MDT 2014

(One of the things that practically defines the "anti-imperialist" left
is its inability to think dialectically. If you don't understand that
Middle East politics is based on intractable contradictions, then you
should find some other trouble spot to pontificate about.)

Obama has spoken carefully in public, but it is plain that the
Administration wants the Kurds to do two potentially incompatible
things. The first is to serve as a crucial ally in the campaign to
destroy ISIS, with all the military funding and equipment that such a
role entails. The second is to resist seceding from the Iraqi state.
Around Washington, the understanding is clear: if the long-sought
country of Kurdistan becomes real, America’s twelve-year project of
nation building in Iraq will be sundered. Kurdish leaders acknowledge
that the emergence of ISIS and the implosion of Syria are changing the
region in unpredictable ways. But the Kurds’ history with the state of
Iraq is one of persistent enmity and bloodshed, and they see little
benefit in joining up with their old antagonists. “Iraq exists only in
the minds of people in the White House,” Masrour Barzani, the Kurdish
intelligence chief and Masoud’s son, told me. “We need our own laws, our
own rules, our own country, and we are going to get them.”

full: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/29/fight-lives