[Marxism] Decline and fall: the SWP-USA's final embrace of Zionism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 22 18:29:54 MDT 2014

On 9/22/14 7:38 PM, Art Young via Marxism wrote:
> As for The Militant's cartoonist, that was Laura Gray. My gifted namesake
> was from a much earlier generation. He left me nothing material - no
> pencils, no sketch pads. Also, no talent. But I've somehow inherited his
> hatred of the ruling class.

Since Art is about as old as me, I admire his long-term memory. I was
making a joke about the Art Young who was the cartoonist for the Masses
magazine of John Reed's day.

For most people here, the SWP means Alex Callinicos, not Jack Barnes. It
has shrunk to the point that it barely registers with people under 50.

I should add that I just got off the phone with an old friend who was a
leader of the SWP back in the day. I mentioned to him that I had sent
him a link to Art's article, which led him to bring up a party of
ex-SWP'ers in LA organized by the sect. Apparently some of those at the
party were very upset with the Zionist turn, not that would lead any of
them to break their ties. It is a lot like the movie "Philomena". Even
though the nuns forced her to give up her child, Philomena still loved
the church.