[Marxism] Fwd: U.S. Goes To War With Jabhat Al-Nusra

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 25 06:49:25 MDT 2014

With global attention — and U.S. airstrikes — focused on another
extremist group in the region, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or
ISIS, some Nusra members were pushing to mark a clear distinction
between the two organizations. Nusra even released a U.S. man it was
holding captive — journalist Peter Theo Curtis — as well as 45 U.N.
peacekeepers. “They’re just criminals,” the official said of ISIS,
making a point of condemning the group for beheading U.S. journalists
James Foley and Steven Sotloff. “They’re against the U.S. generally.”

He suggested that Nusra and the U.S., which backs moderate rebel groups
inside Syria, were on the same side: “We are fighting with the rebels.
We are fighting with their alliance against the other alliance. So why
attack us?”

He added: “We didn’t do anything against the U.S. We just want to fight
Assad.”

full:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikegiglio/us-goes-to-war-with-jabhat-al-nusra#1mvgx62