[Marxism] Pride | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

John Obrien causecollector at msn.com
Sat Sep 27 15:24:26 MDT 2014

I viewed this film last night at the Arclight, one of the major Los Angeles multiplex film theaters.
There were two screens showing this film there, at the same time - both appeared sold out.

I highly recommend this film.   The NUM coal miners historic 1984 strike and these LGBT activists
with the Out and Loud group and Gays The Word bookstore and the Gay Liberation Front, are all
 correctly shown - and shows how solidarity does have lasting affects.

The photography is good and listening to Pete Seeger, Paul Robeson and those singing Bread And
Roses, is most enjoyable and inspiring. I greatly enjoyed seeing the original badges (buttons) of both
the Gay groups and the miners throughout the  film, but those wonderful and graphic large textile
union banners - were something not to miss - and play an important element in the final parts of
this film.

Unlike Louis P.'s review - the filmmakers did make clear that Thatcher triumphed and the miners
voted to return to their jobs.  The NUM Strike was 1984 - 1985 and not 1983 that Louis listed in his
review.