[Marxism] When the Nation Magazine grew weary of Reconstruction

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Sep 28 11:55:09 MDT 2014

A few days ago I had been consulting Douglas Blackmon’s “Slavery by
Another Name”, a very fine history of post-Civil War forced labor, as
part of a long-term research project to rebut Charles Post’s thesis on
slavery as “precapitalist” when I came across a revealing reference to
the Nation Magazine. As I have pointed out in the past, the magazine was
a primary source of arguments on behalf of winding down Reconstruction.
I had completely forgotten about the passage but was reminded of it
today when a Facebook thread on Eric Alterman’s opposition to BDS
prompted the query why the magazine puts up with him. In my view, the
Nation has been problematic from its inception, lurching from
abolitionism to articles attacking moves to make the KKK illegal. For a