[Marxism] ISIS overrunning Yarmouk

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 1 08:18:06 MDT 2015

I'm afraid this is not an April fools joke. I had just heard this on BBC which interviewed someone from Yarmouk, which reportedly has been largely overrun by ISIS. :-(

The point that the BBC host found significant was that this placed ISIS within a short distance of central Damascus, but unfortunately I don't think Assad has so much to worry about. The interviewee went on to question why Assad had actually allowed ISIS to take the territory around Yarmouk over quite some period -- ditto.

Paradoxically, I wonder if this won't bring some relief to the starvation in Yarmouk if they are now able to bring in food using ISIS's supply lines. In exchange for Sharia law and some beheadings.... :-(

- Jeff

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2015/Apr-01/292956-isis-seizes-most-of-yarmouk-refugee-camp-in-damascus-plo.ashx

Apr. 01, 2015 | 03:16 PM (Last Updated: April 01, 2015 | 03:49 PM)
ISIS seizes most of Yarmouk refugee camp in Damascus: PLO

Agence France Presse
DAMASCUS: Militants from ISIS seized control of most of the Yarmouk
Palestinian refugee camp in southern Damascus Wednesday, a local Palestinian
official told AFP.

"Fighters from ISIS launched an assault this morning on Yarmouk and they
took over the majority of the camp," said Anwar Abdel Hadi, director of
political affairs for the Palestine Liberation Organization in Damascus.
Fighting was continuing inside the camp, he said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based activist group,
said ISIS was in control of a "large part" of the camp after fighting with
Palestinian groups also opposed to President Bashar Assad's regime.

Yarmouk was once a thriving neighborhood home to 160,000 Palestinian
refugees and Syrians but has been caught up in the country's fighting and
besieged by regime forces for more than a year.

Only about 18,000 residents are estimated to remain in the camp after many
fled the fighting.

Syrian rebels had withdrawn from the camp in February 2014 under a deal that
left only Palestinian anti-regime groups inside.

The siege has caused significant shortages of food, water and drugs inside
the camp.

ISIS, which has seized control of large parts of Syria and Iraq, has fought
not only against the Assad regime but also against other rebel groups as it
seeks to expand the territory under its control.