[Marxism] Yemen, Iran, America.

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 09:43:58 MDT 2015

I just read the first article. Important stuff. Several progressive authors
have exposed the weakness of arguments based on sectarian divide, but
Vijay's quote below is key:
"All talk of Iranian proxies and Shia-Sunni divides does not capture the
essence of what is going on in Yemen – the real fight, contorted by unclear
political agendas, is between the forces of the popular unrest of 2011 and
the old guard."
The current issue of MERIP describes that popular unrest and the women and
youth prominence in its initial stages. Vijay's description of the social
and economic planks of last fall's agreement show that the issues
motivating the grassroots nonviolent movement are still keenly felt - if
ignored by mainstream media.