[Marxism] Countering apologetics for the Baathist apocalypse: Once again, Assad regime responsible for sectarianism in Syria

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 20:39:53 MDT 2015

Countering apologetics for the Baathist apocalypse: Once again, Assad
regime responsible for sectarianism in Syria
April 1, 2015
By Michael Karadjis

Long ago, someone called Jay Tharappel (see note* on Tharappel at end of
this contribution) responded to my article ‘Assad Regime Responsible for
Rise in Religious Sectarianism’ (http://links.org.au/node/3714) with an
article, Syria: Countering Sectarian Apologetics for Imperialist
Sponsored Bloodshed
(http://dissidentvoice.org/2014/04/syria-countering-sectarian-apologetics-for-imperialist-sponsored-bloodshed/).

While my reasons for not responding were related to time and priorities,
as it turned out precisely this passage of time has allowed us to better
judge Tharappel’s premise in his title: the idea that the Syrian
rebellion against Bashar Assad’s tyrannical sectarian regime is
“imperialist-orchestrated bloodshed,” a view that allowed him to slander
me as a “loyal servant of U.S. imperialism,” in the best traditions of
the so-called “anti-imperialist” left.

Like the rest of this bogus “anti-imperialist” camp, he will have
wilfully refused to look reality in the face ever since, and no doubt
pretends that the last 8 months of *actual* imperialist intervention
(unlike the imaginary one in August 2013) doesn’t exist. That is, the
real intervention of US imperialism, with the full and open support of
the Syrian regime, in collaborating with Assad in joint bombing
expeditions against Raqqa civilians (nicknamed “against ISIS”); in
actively bombing ISIS to defend the regime’s control over Deir Ezzor
airport (so that regime can continue to use the airport to bomb children
to bits all over Syria); in sharing intelligence with the regime; in
mysteriously having US drones flying overhead just before regime
bombings; in bombing not only ISIS but also Nusra and even the Islamic
Front and sometimes even, mistakenly we assume, the FSA, anyone in Syria
other than the regime; at the same time as the US is in an even more
open joint war on the side of Iran and its proxy Iraqi regime and Shiite
sectarian death squads against the Sunni population of Iraq.

Perhaps I could now respond and declare Tharappel and his ilk “loyal
servants of U.S. imperialism,” but I don’t need to: for me, being a
servant of a regime as fascistic and barbarous as that of Assad, which
has turned the whole of Syria into a blood-drenched moonscape, was
already damning enough long before the US-Assad alliance came out in the
open, even back when the “anti-imperialist” left actually had an
argument, of sorts: fact is, I don’t share their logic, so I don’t feel
the need to slander them for being anything other than they openly claim
to be, ie, loyal servants of a savage capitalist tyranny.

So formalities out of the way, let’s get down to the content of
Tharappel’s arguments.

Full:
https://mkaradjis.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/countering-apologetics-for-the-baathist-apocalypse-once-again-assad-regime-responsible-for-sectarianism-in-syria/