[Marxism] Yarmouk camp reaches out to the international community for help against IS invasion

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:22:01 MDT 2015

H., whose name is changed due to security reasons, has been speaking
about the situation of the camp asking for outside assistance since the
imposition of the siege, one that was perpetuated by the Syrian regime,
its allies in the camp and the silence from the international community.
He now records his sentiments through Facebook statuses as they range
from cynicism to despair to conveying to the outside community his
situation and that of those surrounding him from the camp.

In one of his posts, H. explains his resentment towards those who have
been silent regarding Yarmouk stating: “Yarmouk, did we not tell you to
not trust anyone? Because even your shadow leaves you in times of
darkness.” This was posted a day after the takeover of the camp by IS
forces.

Two days after the invasion of IS into the camp, H. posts a status
explaining the hypocrisy, the silence when the camp was besieged by
Assad forces and the sudden outpouring of international mobilization
after the invasion by IS. “Our voices were drained whilst we kept
calling Yarmouk. Now everyone loves Yarmouk? I know it’s no time to
shame, but it was you that partook in our besiegement.”

Yarmouk camp reaches out to the international community for help against
IS invasion
Middle East
Mariam Barghouti on April 5, 2015 3 Comments
Shelling from inside of Yarmouk refugee camp in Syria, April 2015.
(Photo: Jafra Foundation for Youth Development and Relief)
    
http://mondoweiss.net/2015/04/international-community-invasion

As Islamic State forces invade and take over 90 percent of Yarmouk camp
in Syria, residents of the camp reach out to the world pleading for
their voices to be heard. They are demanding that the Palestinian
Liberation Organization and humanitarian organizations such as the Red
Cross and UNRWA act in order to secure a safe exit passage to save the
remaining 18,000 residents in the camp.

Yarmouk camp once was hailed as the capital of the Palestinian Diaspora
with over 160,000 Palestinians in the camp. In December 2012, the Syrian
regime began imposing a siege on the camp, which has resulted in the
direct death of 200 Palestinians. In addition to that, over 1000 were
killed due to the continuous shelling, attacks on the camp and torture
in regime jails.

To add onto the siege which has lasted over 700 days, residents in
al-Yarmouk are now struggling to survive in the face of assaults by IS
forces and their allies.

Through the use of social networks, mainly Facebook and Twitter, this
ongoing offensive and monstrosity is being recorded through the voices
of those in the camp. These posts are not present to record a story,
they are attempts to utilize the tools present in order to seek help
from organizations that pledge to secure human rights for all. More
specifically, organizations that speak on behalf of Palestinians
especially Palestinian refugees.

H., whose name is changed due to security reasons, has been speaking
about the situation of the camp asking for outside assistance since the
imposition of the siege, one that was perpetuated by the Syrian regime,
its allies in the camp and the silence from the international community.
He now records his sentiments through Facebook statuses as they range
from cynicism to despair to conveying to the outside community his
situation and that of those surrounding him from the camp.

In one of his posts, H. explains his resentment towards those who have
been silent regarding Yarmouk stating: “Yarmouk, did we not tell you to
not trust anyone? Because even your shadow leaves you in times of
darkness.” This was posted a day after the takeover of the camp by IS
forces.

After the invasion by IS many individuals began making efforts to
mobilize in order to highlight the plight of Yarmouk and the imminent
danger surrounding it in attempts to stop another massacre from
happening.

Two days after the invasion of IS into the camp, H. posts a status
explaining the hypocrisy, the silence when the camp was besieged by
Assad forces and the sudden outpouring of international mobilization
after the invasion by IS. “Our voices were drained whilst we kept
calling Yarmouk. Now everyone loves Yarmouk? I know it’s no time to
shame, but it was you that partook in our besiegement.”

With no food due to the siege and as bombs continue to fall on the homes
of Yarmouk, some residents still continue their attempts in sending out
news to the international community. In one of his posts H. sends an
apology: “we got tired as we run to send out the news. Forgive us. May
you wake up to good news, God willing.”

As the camp called on the international community and the Palestinian
Liberation Organization ad infinitum to intervene when the
regime-implemented siege began they were met with little mobilization
and a piercing silence. Today they endure yet another travesty as IS
forces take over the camp and Jabhat al-Nusra assists in the onslaught.

On April 4th, PLO Executive Committee member Dr. Saeb Erekat released a
statement calling upon the United Nations, International Committee of
the Red Cross and the Syrian government to secure an evacuation for the
civilians in the camp. The statement concludes:

    “In the meantime, the tragedy unfolding in Al-Yarmouk shall remain a
testament to the collective human failure of protecting civilians in
times of war.”

The PLO must take a stronger stance on Yarmouk, and engage in active
talks with all organizations responsible to ensure the safety of those
that remain within the camp. The UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) and
the Red Cross also have a duty towards the residents of the camp, most
of whom are refugees.

This is not the time just to lament what is going on in Yarmouk, this is
not the time to put our heads into our palms and pity the residents in
the camp. Their endurance and their will to live should mobilize us to
take action, to invest all of our energy in attempting to save the
little that is left to save in Yarmouk.

The camp is gone, but the lives remain. They are not numbers and it is
our duty to work through any means possible to ensure their safety.

In one of his more recent posts, H. speaks with a tone of despair.
“Yarmouk is dying now, it is being depleted. Be the voice of Yarmouk.”
About Mariam Barghouti

Mariam Barghouti is a Palestinian translator and journalist, and a
student at Bir Zeit University
- See more at:
http://mondoweiss.net/2015/04/international-community-invasion#sthash.NdlAVcYp.dpuf