[Marxism] Fwd: “We should recognize that there are other imperialisms”: A Marxist dissident explains what the left gets wrong about Russia - Salon.com

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 6 11:52:08 MDT 2015

On 4/6/15 1:40 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> Has there ever been a successful coup, from Pinochet's in Chile to
> Sisi's in Egypt, that did not mobilize large numbers of supporters?
> Frankly, that doesn't sound like a very well-planned coup at all.

Budraitkis is using the word coup d'etat in its classic sense, which was
used to describe one group of officers replacing another, or a group of
officers replacing a democratically elected government. So, for example,
there are coups that take place regularly in SubSaharan Africa.

Pinochet, Sisi, the efforts underway to remove Maduro,the recent
military takeover in Thailand, the fascist movements of the 1930s were
and are not exactly coups. They have mass social bases, drawn from the
middle-class.