[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Ukraine reality today

Roger Annis rogerannis at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 6 15:41:00 MDT 2015

Wrong, wrong re the language law reversal in Feb. 2014. The measure passed the Rada, it was then overturned by the newly-appointed 'interim' speaker of the Rada, Turchynov. The new rulers of the Rada got a little too ambitious for their own good. Their language law reversal was an embarassment  for the international backers of the new regime, and the regime itself worried the Rada decision would stir up unforeseen consequences in the east. Prescient!

The original adoption of the 2012 language law was hotly contested, including, in the grand tradition of the Rada, fist fights among deputies.

A new essay on people of Russian descent in Ukraine is published (from a new book): http://newcoldwar.org/russians-in-ukraine-before-and-after-euromaidan/. Excerpt:

Russians in Ukraine do not represent such a distinctive national group
as other large minorities in other countries. The thing is that both
contemporary Russians and Ukrainians (at least, inhabitants of the lands
 of the former Russian Empire, that is the majority of contemporary
Ukraine) originate from the people of common (All-Russian, ‘Orthodox’)
identity, where the differences between Great Russians (‘Russians’) and
Little Russians (‘Ukrainians’) were rather of regional or sub-ethnic
nature. I think that it would be more correct to consider Russians,
alongside Ukrainians, to be a state-constituting nation of Ukraine
within its 2013 borders, and not a national minority. It is worth noting
 that almost half of ethnic Ukrainians prefer to speak Russian in
private life.

RA