[Marxism] Fwd: Syria, Chechnya, and the jihadist gambit | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 6 17:59:57 MDT 2015

For the longest time now I’ve been making the point that Bashar al-Assad
seems to have adopted Putin’s scorched earth military/political strategy
in Chechnya. After reading the introduction to Jonathan Littell’s
“Syrian Notebooks: Inside the Homs Uprising”, a new Verso book (good for
them), I’ve discovered that there’s more there than just the
near-genocidal blitzkrieg aspect. Remember how Bashar al-Assad released
the jihadists from prison who would go on to provide the shock troops
for ISIS? Well, it turns out that this was a gambit used in Chechnya as
well:

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2015/04/06/syria-chechnya-and-the-jihadist-gambit/