[Marxism] Gay marriage referendum in the south of Ireland

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 04:37:13 MDT 2015

It looks as if, on May 22, the south of Ireland will be the first country
on the world in which has voted for gay marriage.

On that a referendum is to be held on same-sex marriages and all the polls
indicate a big victory for gay marriage.  In what was once Holy, Catholic
Ireland polls indicate 70-80 percent support for gay marriage.

While I doubt the vote will be as high as 80%, because the Catholic Church
will turn out its lay organisations and have its priests sermonising in the
pulpits up until May 22, I think a big win is on the agenda.

All the parliamentary parties, including the most viciously anti-working
class ones, favour gay marriage.  And southern Irish society has changed
dramatically in the past 20-25 years.

For a look at the referendum and societal changes see, Irish society and
politics and the referendum on gay marriage:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/irish-society-and-politics-and-the-referendum-on-gay-marriage/

Phil