[Marxism] Fwd: Brewing Human Rights Crisis In Baltimore As City Threatens Mass Water Shutoffs | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 8 08:07:07 MDT 2015

In what residents warn is a mounting human rights crisis, the city of
Baltimore has commenced sending 25,000 notices, the vast majority to
city and county residents, threatening to shut off water if delinquent
bills are not paid within ten days.

The organization Food & Water Watch estimates that 75,000 residents are
under immediate threat of having their taps turned off, in a city beset
with rising water rates and housing costs, where nearly one out of four
people live below the federal poverty line.

Jessica Lewis, co-founder of the Right to Housing Alliance, a human
rights organization led by people most affected by the affordable
housing crisis in Baltimore, told Common Dreams that local communities
are in the process of assessing the impact and getting organized.

"A lot of renters we work with are angry but also tired, because they
see more and more of the costs of having a place to live getting further
out of reach," said Lewis. "This is part of a continuing trend towards
the commodification of our basic needs."

full:
http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/04/07/brewing-human-rights-crisis-baltimore-city-threatens-mass-water-shutoffs