[Marxism] Anders Breivik’s Rampage in Norway

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 10 08:35:46 MDT 2015

NY Times Book Review, Apr. 10 2015
Review: ‘One of Us,’ by Asne Seierstad, on Anders Breivik’s Rampage in
Norway
By Dwight Garner

ONE OF US
The Story of Anders Breivik and the Massacre in Norway
By Asne Seierstad
530 pages. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. $28.

The nonfiction horror story told in “One of Us: The Story of Anders
Breivik and the Massacre in Norway” moves slowly, inexorably and with
tremendous authority. It’s a sober book that smells like fresh
construction, a house built from plain hard facts. You’re forced to
bring your own emotion, and it pools beneath the steady sentences.

Asne Seierstad is a Norwegian journalist and writer best known for her
2003 book “The Bookseller of Kabul.” In “One of Us,” she chronicles her
country’s Sept. 11, the July day in 2011 when Anders Behring Breivik
detonated a homemade bomb in central Oslo, outside the prime minister’s
office, killing eight, before driving to a youth camp on the wooded
nearby island of Utoya.

There, over the course of more than an hour, he methodically gunned down
69 more. Most were teenage members of the governing Labour Party, and
they were among Norway’s brightest and most promising young people.

“One of Us” is, at bottom, Mr. Breivik’s story. The author follows him
from birth through his conviction at trial and imprisonment. He declined
to be interviewed by Ms. Seierstad. But she puts us at crucial moments
directly inside his head, his thoughts lifted from his own written
statements and interviews.

Ms. Seierstad has read everything about Mr. Breivik and the case,
interviewed everyone. (Her epilogue, about her methods, should be
required reading in journalism schools.) She is determined to see Mr.
Breivik, so much so that her steely approach put me in mind of something
Roy Blount Jr. once said: “If you won’t talk to me I’ll write about your
face. If you won’t look at me I’ll write about the back of your head.”

Many other stories are told here. There are profiles of several of the
victims and their families. There is strong writing about Norway’s
national character, its politics and its debate about immigration. “One
of Us” slowly builds to a comprehensive indictment of the actions, that
day, of Norway’s police and security apparatus.

How was this lone gunman able to shoot children, utterly unchallenged,
for so very long? Ms. Seierstad isolates the mistakes in what she calls
— paraphrasing the prime minister’s thoughts, for she avoids
editorializing — “an odyssey of misadventure and terrible planning.”

Mr. Breivik, born in 1979, was raised in an affluent Oslo neighborhood
by a single mother who had survived a blinkered childhood. She was
psychologically unstable, and sometimes considered putting Mr. Breivik
and his half sister into foster care. He was lonely as a boy, moody and
sometimes violent.

He wore the wrong clothes, said the wrong things. He was vain, wore
makeup and had a high, giggling voice. He found solace in hip-hop and
became a graffiti artist, though he wasn’t accepted by his tagger peers.
He dropped out of high school because he wanted to make money and get on
with his life.

He had some successful business ventures, including one selling bogus
diplomas online. He found Norwegian girls too liberated, and contacted a
mail-order bride who arrived from Belarus. She quickly fled back home.
At 27, isolated and feeling like a failure, he moved back in with his
mother.

Back home, he essentially didn’t leave his room for five years. Any
parent who has a child submerged too deeply in video games will read
about what happens next with their hearts up around their ears. Mr.
Breivik became obsessed with the online game World of Warcraft, which he
would sometimes play for 17 straight hours.

He became a hermit. Inside the game, he achieved a kind of mastery he
never felt in the real world. He became grandiose. Online he fell into
right-wing politics and became obsessed with the threat of Islam and
multiculturalism in Europe. Maxing out credit cards, he began to buy
weapons.

The section of this book in which he rents an isolated farm and begins
to assemble his bomb and collect his armaments is so finely detailed
that it reads like the most dire episode of “Breaking Bad” imaginable.
You will learn more than you wanted to know about boiling sulfuric acid,
weaponizing fertilizer pellets and handling liquid nicotine.

Then the attack itself is underway. The roughly 70 pages Ms. Seierstad
devotes to it are harrowing in their forensic exactitude. She seems to
note the trajectory and impact of every bullet Mr. Breivik fired. “I
will kill you all, Marxists!” he was heard to say.

Ms. Seierstad does not write the kind of prose, in this fluent
translation from the Norwegian by Sarah Death, that is easy to quote.
But here is a snippet about that day on Utoya:

“He advanced steadily through the heather. His boots stamped deeply into
the ground as he walked over harebells, clover and trefoil. Some
decaying branches snapped underfoot. His skin was pale and damp, and his
thin hair was swept back. His eyes were light blue. Caffeine, ephedrine
and aspirin ran in his bloodstream. By this point he had killed 22
people on the island.”

We are not spared the blood, vomit and urine. Nor scenes like a child
holding her blasted jaw in place, or a boy touching his own brain
matter, now outside his shattered skull. These scenes are balanced by
moments of tremendous heroism, and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t read
the final half of “One of Us” with perpetually moist cheeks.

Was Mr. Breivik a political terrorist or simply a madman? This is the
fundamental question weighed at his trial, and this book offers
prismatic evidence for each view. Only in the epilogue does the strain
of considering his life show in the author’s voice.

It’s said that exact detail is uniquely helpful when it comes to mending
after terrible events. If it is true, as Stephen Jay Gould contended,
that “nothing matches the holiness and fascination of accurate and
intricate detail,” then Ms. Seierstad has delivered a holy volume indeed.