[Marxism] Fwd: A personal journey of transformation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 12 06:29:15 MDT 2015

What does it mean to be an Israeli liberal Zionist? In this piece of
land, Israel/Palestine, the population is divided about half and half:
Jews and Palestinians. There are the Palestinian citizens (the “1948
Arabs”) and the Palestinians under military regime in the occupied
territories. Through most of my life I did not have any contact with
Palestinians. Not one friend, acquaintance or neighbor, none. The
Palestinians were on the dark side of the moon. I never went to Arab
towns, definitely not to the West Bank or Gaza (before the blockade).
Sometimes, while driving to the north I would stop at one of the Arab
restaurants which are located along the roads, to eat some good Arabic
food. I lived in Jerusalem, the “united Jerusalem”, where 40% are
Palestinians, (residents, not citizens) I never went to East Jerusalem.
I saw Palestinians cleaning the streets, planting flowers to beautify my
city, building, carrying products in the supermarkets and washing dishes
in restaurants, but I really, did not see them.

“Where a man cannot look, he cannot feel, and where a man cannot feel he
has not really looked. Without both he will never understand” (Richard
Forer, Breaking Through).

A deep fear has been instilled in our veins. I did not dare to cross the
street to the Palestinian side. There is no need for formal segregation
in Israel. It is implied perfectly by this deep fear. Two completely
separate entities. This is a perfect way to dehumanize the other. “They”
become demons, and you keep out!

full: http://mondoweiss.net/2015/04/my-journey-transformation