[Marxism] Fwd: In the Middle East, our enemy's enemy must be our friend - Voices - The Independent

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 14:00:41 MDT 2015

If Cockburn was making the arguments Louis is accusing him of making, then
I am with Louis.

But I did not get that reading. It sounds less like he's calling for drone
attacks against ISIS and more like he's calling for an end to US
collaboration with Saudi Arabia, something perfectly valid.

Also, I do not know where Louis got the notion that Electronic Intifada
supports Assad. EI has, from my recollection, always been anti-Assad to the
extent that they talk about Syria at all. Here are some examples:

http://electronicintifada.net/content/yarmouk-activist-describes-atrocious-state-war-torn-camp-syria/12231

*EI:* Can you explain the relations and sentiments of Yarmouk camp towards
the Syrian regime and towards the Syrian uprising?

*MAN:* Daraa, [the southern city near the Jordanian border] where the
revolution officially started, was under military siege and it was
Palestinians from Daraa camp who broke the siege by smuggling food and gas
to the stranded residents of Daraa.

As a result, seven of them were captured and killed on the spot.
Palestinians in Yarmouk were outraged at this news; they called it a
massacre. Palestinian camps in Syria were with the revolution before the
revolution. We never forgot [the 1976 massacre in] Tel al-Zaatar [refugee
camp, when a Syrian invasion of Lebanon allowed right-wing militias to kill
thousands of Palestinians]. We never forgot the role of [former Syrian
President] Hafez al-Assad in Lebanon against the Palestinian resistance and
the camps.

However, Yarmouk remained neutral the first year of the Syrian revolution.
I remember at the end of July 2011, we, the local committees of the camp,
were organizing a protest but we agreed it should be outside the camp.
Later we found out that many young people from the camp had been secretly
going to surrounding areas to protest in solidarity with their Syrian
friends.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/catastrophe-yarmouk-isis-seizes-camp

Twenty months of siege

Yarmouk was once home to an estimated 150,000 Palestinian residents and
thousands of Syrian nationals.

Dozens died from starvation
<http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/maureen-clare-murphy/thousands-risk-starvation-yarmouk-un-warns>
there
after government forces and pro-government militias “began to prevent all
access to Yarmouk” in July 2013, according to Amnesty International.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/palestinians-trapped-syria-war-denied-aid-stalked-starvation

Also, Ali Abunimah who more or less runs the site has always been
anti-Assad, for which the pro-Assad left voices, particularly Amal
Saad-Ghorayeb (a Lebanese author and very adamant defender of the Assad
regime) condemned him as some sort of Zionist infiltrator.

- Amith