[Marxism] Fwd: In the Middle East, our enemy's enemy must be our friend - Voices - The Independent

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 12 14:26:28 MDT 2015

On 4/12/15 4:00 PM, A.R. G wrote:
> If Cockburn was making the arguments Louis is accusing him of making,
> then I am with Louis.
>
> But I did not get that reading. It sounds less like he's calling for
> drone attacks against ISIS and more like he's calling for an end to US
> collaboration with Saudi Arabia, something perfectly valid.

That is because he is using circumlocutions such as this:

"But if we have decided that US air power is not to be used against Isis
or Jabhat al-Nusra when they are fighting the Syrian army because we
want to get rid of President Bashar al-Assad, then this is a decision
that benefits Isis, Jabhat al-Nusra and extreme jihadis."

A less weaselly formulation would be:

"The United States would be wise to bomb jihadists in Syria at all times
and under all conditions since the Baathists are a lesser evil than them."

> Also, I do not know where Louis got the notion that Electronic Intifada
> supports Assad.

My mistake. I meant Al Akhbar.