[Marxism] Fwd: In the Middle East, our enemy's enemy must be our friend - Voices - The Independent

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 14:33:11 MDT 2015

My impression (without doing too close of a reading) is that he is saying
that the US drone campaign elsewhere is being fought on false pretenses
(duh) because if they really cared about fighting AQ/ISIS they would be
using the drones to back up the Syrian regime (even though that seems to be
increasingly what they are doing).

I am weary of trying to read too much into anti-imperialist writing. It is
difficult to find an appropriate position re: Syria. If you go too far in
one direction, you're "pro-Assad". If you go too far in the other, you're
an imperialist. Reminds me of the space (or lack thereof) prior to the US
invasion of Iraq, wherein you were either with the war or with the regime.
"Neither" never appears to be an option with articulate spokespeople.

- Amith