[Marxism] Fwd: Scientology and the SWP: varieties of cult experience | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 12 14:39:11 MDT 2015

Just as Alex Gibney’s documentary “Mr. Dynamite: The Rise of James
Brown” helped to put a famous musician into perspective following the
mannered and incoherent biopic “Get on Up”, he has come to the rescue
once again with “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief”,
another documentary about the infamous cult that bears little
resemblance to that depicted in Paul Anderson’s equally mannered and
incoherent “The Master”. Perhaps one can excuse Anderson for making a
film that was purportedly not about Scientology if at least it was a
good film. Not knowing that much about neither the cult nor much of a
fan of Anderson’s self-indulgences, the film amounted to a sheer waste
of time for me. In contrast, Gibney’s documentary that is currently
running on HBO was totally riveting especially for someone like me who
belonged to a political rather than a religious cult. When former
members of Scientology discussed being “Disconnected”, a term for
ostracizing those who give hostile interviews to the press or run blogs
that expose the cult, I could identify completely.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2015/04/12/scientology-and-the-swp-varieties-of-cult-experience/