[Marxism] The Devils? Alliance: Hitler?s Pact with Stalin, 1939?1941

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 15 15:47:03 MDT 2015

Three notes on Western Ukraine and the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, by Paul Flewers.

B Krawchenko, whose book is mentioned in the article, once told me that the Communist Party of the Western Ukraine (then under Polish rule) disbanded in the wake of the forced collectivization program in Soviet Ukraine.

A co-worker of mine back in 1971-72 had been among the Poles deported to Siberia after the Red Army came into Poland.  He spoke positively of his experience there.  Presumably he had been a strong young man and he appreciated that fact there was piece work in the mine he was sent to.  I expect he had come from some poverty.

There must have bitter hostility among Western Ukrainians against the Polish government.  At the time that martial law was imposed in Poland (1981), I knew a man whose father was a Ukrainian priest.  When asked why he had not mentioned the imposition of martial law in his church service he said, "I didn't want to praise the Bolsheviks in church."

				ken h