[Marxism] Fwd: Adjuncts participate in National Day of Action for a Living Wage | InsideHigherEd

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 16 07:15:46 MDT 2015

Low-wage workers in cities from New York City to Los Angeles
participated in national day of protest Wednesday to draw attention to
their fight for a living wage. Most of the workers were from home health
and child care, retail, fast food, and other traditionally low-paying
fields, but a significant number of protesters represented what is --
for some -- surprisingly low-wage work: non-tenure-track academic labor.

“I’ve been involved in adjuncting for 4 years teaching 10 to 12 classes
a year, which is more than a full load and, quite frankly, I’m sick of
it,” said Cole Bellamy, an adjunct instructor of composition at Saint
Leo University who participated in a rally in support of adjuncts on the
University of South Florida’s Tampa campus. “I work 50 percent more than
a full-timer in order to make more than a living wage, and something
needs to be done about that.”

But it’s not just about the money -- about $2,600 per course -- Bellamy
said. “This is about the fact that teaching at the university level is
something that is being rapidly devalued and deprofessionalized. And at
the same time we’ve got ever-rising tuition, administrative glut and
executive salaries. … This really is a battle for the soul of the
university.”

full:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/04/16/adjuncts-participate-national-day-action-living-wage