[Marxism] on building solidarity with Syriza

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 09:21:04 MDT 2015

SYRIZA provides an opportunity that is only given once in every generation
Nick Dearden interviewed by Anastasia Yamali
openDemocracy, April 15
<https://www.opendemocracy.net/can-europe-make-it/nick-dearden-anastasia-yamali/syriza-provides-opportunity-that-is-only-given-once>

Nick Dearden, director of Global Justice Now, discusses debt
cancellation, EU reform and what a Syriza victory means for the
anti-austerity movement in Europe.
. . .
...Solidarity is absolutely essential. We see it here - from trade
unions, from NGOs, from activist and even the media. But it's too
small and shallow. We need to deepen and strengthen. We need people
going to Greece and learning and helping and sharing - international
brigades. We need a very big solidarity conference, which recaptures
some of the international spirit of the old anti-globalisation
movement. We need to build real links to support (and push) Syriza.

Without this, it will be impossible. So it is all our duty, especially
in Spain. For Spain to elect a radical government in the next 6
months, well that changes everything. The possibilities are huge. So
we must support our friends in Spain too.

You see, it is very difficult what Syriza faces, but at the same time
it cannot fail. This is a once-in-a-generation opportunity we have.
All of Europe, all of the world, looks to Greece now. And you must
also ask us for what you need. Many people look to Greece, but aren't
sure what to do .Together we need to empower ordinary Europeans.
Really, I think it is already having some effect here - look at the
radical movements growing in Scotland.
. . .
What I think we need to do is to push for a democratisation of the
public sector The opposite of the market isn't that a state
bureaucracy owns and runs everything. Although, certainly, national
and international planning are vital when we look at global challenges
like climate change or wealth redistribution. The opposite of the
market, however, is democracy.
. . .