[Marxism] Green Left Weekly: Syriza's clash with creditors, 'Let them try to over throw us'

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 02:13:12 MDT 2015

Greece: SYRIZA clashes with creditors — 'Let them try to over throw us'
by Raul Connolly
Green Left Weekly
April 20, 2014
<https://www.greenleft.org.au/node/58789>

“A high-ranking official close to Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras
said the Greek government is not planning to give in to its creditors’
pressures and go against the program they had promised to the Greek
people who brought them to power,” GreekReporter.com said on April 16.

The comment came amid rising tensions between Greece's SYRIZA-led
anti-austerity government and its creditors — the European Central
Bank, the European Commission and the International Monetary Fund
(IMF).

The Guardian reported on April 17: “Greece has been pushed a step
closer to default and potential exit from the euro after one of its
main lenders, the International Monetary Fund, all but ruled out
allowing the cash-strapped country to delay repaying the €1bn [about
$1.4 billion] due next month.

“The head of the IMF, Christine Lagarde, said delaying the payments
would be an unprecedented action that would only make the situation
worse.”

GreekReporter.com said: “Greece’s creditors are asking for reforms
that will bring more austerity to the country that already has more
than half of its youth unemployed.

“The creditors are also asking for heavier taxation in sales, pension
cuts up to 15% and cuts in public sector workers’ salaries, the
government official said.”

Despite the conflict, Tsipras said on April 16 he was confident that
Greece would reach an agreement with creditors by the end of the
month, TeleSUR English said that day.

Tsipras told Reuters: “The Greek government is working hard on every
individual aspect of the negotiations in order to reach a mutually
beneficial solution … A compromise, which will respect the recent
popular mandate as well as the euro zone's operational framework.”

But GreekReporter.com said: “The Greek government seems prepared to
collide with creditors as negotiations continue to stall. The Greek
side insists on the 'red lines' it has drawn on certain measures while
creditors insist that Athens should proceed with required reforms
before any further financial aid is released. Thereby an agreement
seems unlikely.

“According to Greek government sources, creditors have declined most
of the measures proposed by Greek Finance Minister Yanis Varoufakis
without offering any alternatives or making counter-proposals ...

“According to the same source, European partners have decided to push
the Greek government to the wall until state coffers are empty and
then drag the country to a deal under the threat of bankruptcy.

“'They know exactly how big our bank reserves are and when we are
going to run out of liquidity. That’s what they are aiming at. They
want to lead us to asphyxiation so that we cross all our red lines,
especially in labour and social security laws, and sign whatever they
want us to sign … There is no way we will do that. They should forget
it.'

“The government official went on to say that the Tsipras
administration is not planning a referendum or snap elections. ‘If
they want to overthrow us, they have to do it themselves. We are not
going to a referendum or elections … They cannot overthrow us through
elections.’”