[Marxism] New Zealand imperialism and Samoa

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 03:06:37 MDT 2015

In NZ at present, we are deluged with rubbish about the 100th anniversary
of Gallipoli - the place where NZ and Australian troops joined with Britain
and France (and canada I think) to invade Turkey and (thankfully) were
thrown back.

It's a bit hard to present WW1 as anything other than a clash of imperial
powers who wanted each other's colonies and markets and to wipe each other
out as industrial competitors, as well as expand the global reach of their
empires, but the powers-that-be are certainly doing their best.

One of the most unfortunate outcomes of WW1 was that NZ was able to grab
western Samoa, a German colony, and keep hold of it after the war.  Samoa
didn't get independence until the early 1960s.

In the 1920s NZ viciously suppressed an independence movement, including
massacring peaceful protesters in Apia.

A couple of pieces on NZ imperialism and Samoa:

Samoa - what New Zealand did:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/samoa-what-new-zealand-did/

Depriving Samoans of immigration and citizenship rights:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2011/08/29/depriving-samoans-of-immigration-and-citizenship-rights/

Phil