[Marxism] Fwd: Wallace Stegner and Edward Abbey have never been more relevant in the drought-stricken West - Salon.com

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Mon Apr 20 12:36:52 MDT 2015

The Salon essay Louis linked us to is well worth reading. Stegner and Abbey are great writers of the U.S. West. I have promoted their work on various lists, but the response of people from the eastern U.S. cities is typically one of "who are they." Sometimes they are dismissive, as if Abbey, for example, was some sort of primitive Luddite, rather than a highly skilled writer and a person who, as the Salon essay says, could, through his writing, get us to act. Desert Solitaire is one book that got us to move West and stay there. Stegner's book, Mormon Country, was where I learned about Orderville, a communal enclave established by poor Mormon settlers sent there by Brigham Young in one of his efforts to get the Saints to reinvigorate the original Mormon precept to live simply and to share. Orderville was more or less a communist society, with no private property, no money, and communal living.
Here is something I wrote in 2005: http://monthlyreview.org/2005/03/01/the-ghosts-of-karl-marx-and-edward-abbey/
BTW, Abbey was born in Western Pennsylvania, a few miles from my hometown. We played baseball on some of the same rural fields, though not at the same time.