[Marxism] Columbia University Bans Workers From Speaking Spanish

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 24 18:52:14 MDT 2015

I am searching my memory for the details of a struggle in Sudbury, Ontario, in the mines, about 1971.  There were quite a few francophone workers there.  I think it was INCO, although it could have been Falconbridge, that decreed that the language underground should be English only.  I was told that at the beginning of one shift the workers on the man hoist (which would hold about 48 people) sang some popular French language song, something like Frere Jacques.  This song was well enough known that the anglophone workers could join in and I was told they did.
						ken h