[Marxism] "A New Deal for Greece" by Yanis Varoufakis

Dayne Goodwin daynegoodwin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 00:13:35 MDT 2015

A New Deal for Greece
Yanis Varoufakis
Project Syndicate, April 23

". . .
The current disagreements with our partners are not unbridgeable. Our
government is eager to rationalize the pension system (for example, by
limiting early retirement), proceed with partial privatization of
public assets, address the non-performing loans that are clogging the
economy’s credit circuits, create a fully independent tax commission,
and boost entrepreneurship. The differences that remain concern how we
understand the relationships between the various reforms and the macro
environment.

None of this means that common ground cannot be achieved immediately.
The Greek government wants a fiscal-consolidation path that makes
sense, and we want reforms that all sides believe are important. Our
task is to convince our partners that our undertakings are strategic,
rather than tactical, and that our logic is sound. Their task is to
let go of an approach that has failed."

full at: <http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/greece-debt-deal-by-yanis-varoufakis-2015-04>