[Marxism] Fwd: Capitalism, slavery and primitive accumulation | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 27 12:45:41 MDT 2015

On Saturday morning I attended a panel discussion on Mike Zmolek’s newly
published “Rethinking the Industrial Revolution” at the Historical
Materialism conference at NYU. This is a 1000-page work based on his
dissertation that he began 20 years ago on the suggestion of his adviser
George Comninel that the Brenner thesis should be extended forward
historically to account for the industrial revolution. While I am sure
that the book has a lot of interesting research based on a cursory
glance at the dissertation in Proquest, my reaction is to wonder why the
Political Marxism tendency, to which Comninel and Zmolek belong, has so
little interest in another kind of extension, namely geographical. How
in the world can you continue to ignore economic and social developments
in the colonial world in the period of early modernity? In some ways it
reminds me of that famous New Yorker cartoon where you see a map of the
USA in which all the states recede in size increasingly as you move
westward from Manhattan with California finally the size of a postage
stamp. Substitute the British Isles for Manhattan and you get the
Political Marxism perspective.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2015/04/27/capitalism-slavery-and-primitive-accumulation/